Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Information Overload : What Makes Sense


Reading all sorts of advice for new parents is quite overwhelming but I think I'm getting better at filtering some of the information and choosing what makes sense to me and feels right. We'll see if I can put it to practice when the time comes. For instance I just read an argument against Harvey Karp's method of the 5 S's by Lisa at Regarding Baby dot org.

Swaddling : In the article she says that she believes that "babies need and deserve to be free to move their arms and legs, which is one of the ways they discharge energy." My thoughts are, every baby is different. Why not try the swaddling method and the sleep sack method that Lisa recommends and see what the baby seems to prefer? I imagine that you wouldn't want to keep the baby swaddled or sleep sacked ALL the time. Let those limbs loose to practice karate chops and sumo stomps. I interpret a lot of what Karp says as ways to ease the transition from womb to room(a.k.a. the world).
Side/Stomach position : Placing the baby on his side will aid in digestion. Karp says to not leave the baby unattended when on it's side or tummy because the risk of SIDS in these positions. In the article Lisa says why even risk it. I kind of agree with her. If this position is primarily used to aid in digestion the baby is probably crying because of something it ate (like dairy or some other allergenic food) and putting it in this position will perhaps aid in digestion and make the wee one feel better but I would be curious to seek out the root of the problem (cutting out certain foods from my diet that then get fed to the baby via breast milk.) My fortune cookie today said it best: "Prevention is better than cure." 
Shushing Sounds : "These imitate the swooshing sounds of the blood flowing through the arteries in the womb." In the article Lisa says: "I don't believe loudly shushing a baby sends a message that I'm present, available and listening." This is definitely an RIE (Resources for Infant Educarers) Parenting philosophy. I've been reading a lot of Janet Lansbury's blog (she teaches RIE Parenting classes and her mentor is Magda Gerber) and I really connect to what she writes about when it comes to how you talk to and treat your newborn baby. Yet I understand what Karp is doing, like I said previously: easing the transition of sounds from womb to room. It makes complete sense to me but so does being present, available and listening to your child. I feel like all of these methods can be practiced. 
Swinging : Karp uses this method to mimic the mothers movement when she is pregnant. Lisa says, "I believe it best to comfort babies with a minimum amount of movement. Rocking, swaying, or walking with a crying baby is often comforting for the adult, but I'd avoid taking the baby for car rides in the hopes of quieting them. Magda Gerber suggested, "All the many forms of what we call comforting, bounding a child on one's knee or rocking her in a rocking chair, often express our own nervous energy and frustration when confronted with a crying baby." I'm no expert. I'm not even a parent...yet, but I think I'm pretty good at listening to what peoples needs are and accommodating them (if reasonable!) and I'm good at putting myself in other peoples shoes (or booties). When I go for my walks and hikes I try to remember that rhythm and even the tempo of my breathing because I would imagine that the little boy will find that movement and sound of my breathing comforting. I actually look forward to going on these walks/hikes with him wrapped around me (I'll let you know how he likes it or doesn't like it.) I think watching Karp's "swinging" is a bit startling (and not what my walking movement is like) but again it makes sense in the womb to room transition. When Lisa says that she believes it best to comfort babies with a minimum amount of movement I imagine she means just holding them and talking to them or maybe a movement that is not so intense as Karp's method. I feel like swaying or walking or rocking is second nature and unharmful as long as you are present with your baby and not swinging him like he's a sack of potatoes.
Sucking : "Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain." Lisa doesn't provide an argument for this other than the fact that babies will find their hands or thumbs pretty quickly if they aren't attached to the breast. Babies are born suckers.That's all I have to say. 

Lisa quotes Janet Lansbury, "If you wouldn't want it done to you, don't do it to your baby. In fact, don't do things to your baby, do things with your baby." She also says:

"I believe babies (even the most fragile) are up to the challenge of adapting, thriving, and participating in their own process when given a bit of gentle, calm support. Every effort should be made to understand and respond sensitively to a baby’s cry (which I see as communication), but I do not believe that we should try to (or need to) artificially recreate the conditions of the womb in order to quiet a crying baby.

In fact, quieting a crying baby should never be the goal. I suggest taking a deep breath, slowing and calming yourself before responding. Listen and try to understand why the baby is crying. You might say, “I hear you crying. I wonder what you might be saying?” If there is a need that can be met, like hunger, or the need for sleep, then it makes sense to respond by meeting the need. If baby is crying, and you can’t discern an obvious reason, then it can be helpful to reduce stimulation to a minimum, and just gently hold him, or lay her down. Skin to skin contact, gently swaying your body while cuddling baby in your arms, talking softly or quietly humming a song, may comfort your baby (or maybe it comforts you), but sometimes, you may find that nothing you do has a calming effect."

I get what she's saying. She's saying that recreating these movements and sounds in the womb isn't getting to the issue of what may really be bothering the baby. Perhaps it's something they ate and are allergic to. Perhaps something they saw or heard something that startled them. Maybe they have a soiled diaper. Maybe they are tired or hungry. I think that using Karp's techniques, or at least keeping the idea of transition from womb to room in mind, while also keeping in mind what Lisa has said will all be helpful and good information to keep stockpiled in my new-parent-brain - if labor doesn't kill all of my braincells.

She also says, "What is important for all parents to understand (but especially new parents), is that it is normal and natural for babies to cry." Which makes me think of that song on the "Free to Be You and Me" album of my childhood, "It's Alright to Cry." Gosh, I loved that album when I was little.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, you are so awesome, evaluating everything through what make sense...of course I teared up when I heard Rosie...I so loved that album too.
    I LOVE you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete