Saturday, June 16, 2012

Hypnobirthing: My Hypnotherapy Session


I can't believe I didn't write about my hypnotherapy session with my friend George. I had transcribed some materials for him with my speedy typing skills and in return Mike and I both received complimentary Reiki and Hypnotherapy services. I finally used mine up a couple of months (?) ago. I talked to George about how our birthing class instructor led us through a relaxation/visualization during one of our classes. George said he could do a labor/birth themed Hypno session for me.  It was very refreshing and relaxing. I know that when people think of Hypnosis they think they have no control of their bodies and minds and will wake up clucking like a chicken but it is nothing like what you see in the movies. You have complete control of your body. If you feel uncomfortable at any point you are conscious enough to stop the session.

The session took place in a candlelit room with a massage table and a couch. I got comfy on the massage table and George sat on the couch but on the far end of the couch, which I appreciated. I think that if he sat or stood too close to me that I would have had a harder time relaxing because he would have been invading my space. So the distance was good and I was able to create my own relaxing state with George's voice guiding me along. 


It was about a 30 minute session, I think a wee bit longer than that. He started off by slowly bringing me into a relaxed state. He had me visualize a peaceful place and I jumped from a secluded beach to a mountaintop and finally ended up on a little dinghy in the middle of Lake Pend O'Reille just gently bobbing there in the sunlight. So, that is my peaceful place that I should call on whenever I need to feel relaxed and calm. My two favorite bits involved a blue balloon and cold snow. The first one, the blue balloon, was a way to deal with and visualize contractions. This will help me with realizing that each contraction won't last forever. At the start of the contraction he has me visualize a blue balloon. It gets blown up little by little and then at the very top or end of the contraction it floats away. If I find this helpful and distracting during labor pains Mike will talk me through this balloon sequence. I like the idea of reaching a small goal (blowing up a balloon) and then linking the relief with the visual of a balloon floating away. The other bit that I liked was a visualization helping with any aches or pains. I imagine that I am in a cabin in the mountains and the landscape is blanketed with snow. I sink my hand into the snow and leave it there until I cannot stand it anymore and place my hand on the part of me that hurts to numb the pain. Ah, sweet relief!

He made a CD of the session so I can listen to it anytime I'd like. I've been listening to it on my neighborhood walks and trying to listen to it before I go to sleep. When I go on my walks I play it in this big portable CD player that I stuff into my fanny pack. I pretend like it's the '90s:
Although I might get a hat instead to put the CD player in:
just kidding.
I'm getting off track.

George also sent us some other hypnotherapy scripts centered around labor that we might use as well. I think it will be very helpful when the time comes. I'll let you know!


2 comments:

  1. I love you. :)

    - another sentimental moment brought to you by yours truly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a helpful thing to know....you know so much now, EK......How about being a midwife's assistant/artist!!!

      Delete