Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Birthplace, No. 3

I thought I would, for our Bear cub, write a post a week documenting something that I associate with his birthplace, Chapel Hill. You can see the first two here and here

Number three:

OUR NEIGHBORHOOD
Here he is sitting in our neighbor Kevin's planters. He started walking up onto people's stoops so instead of chasing him up there and yelling at him to come down I say, "If you're going to go up there you better knock on their door and say hello." I was sort of kidding, saying it loud enough for the neighbors to possibly hear...but he knocks. Now he goes up the stoops and knocks on doors. No one has answered yet. I'll let you know when someone does. (I should teach him how to say "Trick or Treat?!")
Here he is in our neighbors Nina and Andy's driveway. He loves their yard. For some reason, on this day, he got down into child's pose and put his face to the rocks. I have no idea why. Below he is crossing the same neighbor's bridge at the back of their property. He loves this bridge.
We love our neighbors and our neighborhood. LOVE. We love the creek at the end of the road. We love that our street has a grassy median down the center which makes playing in the street feel safer. We love that the neighbors beside us and across from us know us and we have a good relationship with each of them. We borrow and lend butter, we play with their kids or dogs, we go over and visit and watch or play. We will really miss it. We love that we know neighbors further down the street or on a different street entirely; it is a great walking neighborhood so we meet a lot of people and dogs walking by. 

Remember this video that I posted over a year ago? It's one of my favorites:



around the block from erin kawamata on Vimeo.

1 comment: