Thursday, August 28, 2014

First BIG Haircut



We've been thinking about getting the Bear's locks cut for awhile. It was getting hard to care for (dreadlocks) and he did not like having his hair combed or washed. When we went to visit the Grandparents his Grandma said she knew a lady that cut small human's hair and that it would be Grandma's treat. Because we are cheap and like a good deal, we obliged! First, let's watch a video of him shaking that head of hair and look at some pictures of his long locks:

long hair from erin kawamata on Vimeo.

crazy, tangly bedhead

beloved curls



His typical hair sweep

Bobbypins are good for keeping the yogurt at bay

swimming pool hair

damp curls

sunlit curls
It's fun to look at those pics of him with long hair...he's had short hair for almost one month now! Here he is in the Tanja's barber chair:
At first she said that he could have a lolly after he got his hair cut but he refused to sit in the chair. I also brought a slushy thinking we could have him sit still eating that. I suggested we give him the lolly during the cut. He never took that thing out of his mouth. He sat still the entire time.
 This is when I had to hold back some tears...I mean, OH MY GAWD:

 And another moment when I had to hold back the tears:

 I kept  some locks:

I think she did a grand job!
 
Still working on that lolly:

It took Mike and I well over a week to get used to it. It was as if he was a completely different person!

He no longer has that hang-ten edge that the long hair brought but his edge still shines through in his personality.
He definitely knows he got his hair cut because when we got home and Grandpa asked to see his cut he walked over shaking his head a la shampoo commercial and grabbed his short locks as if to say, "See! No more hair!"

Thank you for the treat and the change, Grandma!

2 comments:

  1. He looks like a completely different person. Such a big boy now! Kavi had her first haircut when we were in India and it was probably the most traumatic experience she's had so far. My childhood barber came home to give me a haircut so we decided at the last minute to trim Kavi's hair too. We put on an episode of Dora, thinking it would distract her, while I held her in my lap. Poor girl cried and screamed her heart out and all of my parents' neighbors came running over to offer advice. There were about 10 people watching Kavi getting her hair cut. We didn't take any pictures or save any hair. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness! poor kavi! i'm sure the spectators didn't help the situation, even if they meant well! i hope it's easier to take care of now!

      Delete