Monday, September 29, 2014

Comprehension and Spelling

I'm talking about his comprehension and our (Mike and my) spelling. He understands practically everything we say. Even if he doesn't understand what he say he repeats most of what we say if he is in the right mood. Here is a conversation we may have:
Me: Hey, do you know if we have any beans?
Stan B: Beans.
Mike: I think we do.
Stan B: Do.
Me: Stanley, what would you like for dinner tonight?
Stan B: Dinner tonight.
Me: Yeah, dinner. What would you like?
Stan B: Like.
Me: Do you want something with beans in it?
Stan B: Pizza!

He usually repeats the last word we say. We can play the "Can you say..." game and he can say most any word. He has trouble with Fs and Ss now...He says his name, "Shanny" or "Shanley". He says spicy, "shicy"; cereal is "sheer-eal". I can't think of an F word right now that he has trouble saying. My mind has gone blank! But he has issues with the pronunciation of eff.

Here's a recent interaction/conversation we had with the cat, Dickie the Cat:
We were going for a walk around the block after dinner and Dickie has been joining us on occasion (!) This night she had followed us all the way down the alley but then started sniffing around someone's backyard and I wasn't sure if she was too far to find her way home so I called to her,
"Dix!"
Stan B: "Dixsh!" and smiles at me.
Me: Dickie, come!
Stan B: Dickie. Come! smiles at me.
Me: Dickles!
Stan B: "Dickulsh!" smiles at me.
Me: "Kitty!"
Stan B: "Kitty!" and smiles at me.

He repeated every name I called her. It was so funny.

We have also been spelling A LOT of words lately. I think the first word that Stan B will learn how to spell is "popsicle". Because we will say stuff like, "Did we make p-o-p-s-i-c-l-e-s for tonight?" If we said the word popsicle and we didn't have any Stan B would be saying, "Copapul? I want copapul. Copapul? Copapul?" and we would never hear the end of popsicles until he got one.
We don't spell swear words as often as you'd think. We did the other day in regards to a playground situation that perhaps I'll write about soon but other than that we simply try not to cuss (Looking back on that conversation - it was pretty hilarious with all the spelling.) We mostly spell words like b-i-c-y-c-l-e and p-a-r-k and p-o-o-l  and d-u-m-b.

No comments:

Post a Comment