Monday, March 30, 2015

MESSY

Messy but talented.
There were a couple of weeks...who am I kidding, MONTHS....where there seemed to be toys EVERYWHERE.
In his room.
It was getting really annoying. So I took action. I got my hands on some large rubbermaid bins as well as some smaller containers and organized his toys. I put musical instruments in one container, train stuff in another, legos in another, automobiles and trucks in another container, balls in another one.
Living room mayhem.
I also took all the books off of his shelf that seemed more appropriate for an older child and even got rid of some books that he doesn't seem so interested in anymore. I put all the containers of toys down in the basement except for his books that we've kept, his legos, autos and play kitchen stuff.
Celebrating his supreme mess.
I have recently brought up his train stuff with the intention of moving one of the other things down in the basement but he likes to play with the trains and legos at the same time, sometimes.
The contents of a dumped basket.


My idea is to bring up a new container and move the legos or cars downstairs for awhile just to mix it up. I'm not doing that great of a job as I just realized his doctor kits are upstairs now because last week he was listening to my heart with his stethoscope (he did this by petting me with it, sometimes on my chest, sometimes on my leg. Ha!) ...and he was saying, "I'm Dr. Seuss!" Ha! So, I think I need to do another massive clean up.
"I'm Dr. Seuss!"
But I must say that organizing things in containers and not putting them all out at once really helped with keeping the mess a little bit more in control. Toddlers  just love to dump stuff. So, imagine a box of blocks or legos or cars...they usually end up getting dumped ALL OVER THE GROUND.

My friend Kristen shared this on facebook with me:
Want to know what it's like to have kids?
1. Gather everything you own.
2. Throw it all on the floor.
3. Pick it up.
4. Repeat for infinity.

Here is a 12 second video of him playing amongst the mess:


mess from erin kawamata on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree about letting them play with a variety of things as it helps keep their imagination booming or should I say blooming....Love your idea of putting things away. I think it is overwhelming for the kids as well as the parents if there is too much.

    ReplyDelete